Angel biscuits are a delightful cross between traditional biscuits and light, fluffy rolls. They are tender, buttery, and incredibly versatile. Here’s how you can make these heavenly biscuits at home:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup w*rm water (around 110°F or 45°C)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Activate the Yeast:
- In a small bowl, mix the active dry yeast with w*rm water. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes, or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Combine Dry Ingred*ents:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in Butter:
- Add the cold butter cubes to the dry ingred*ents. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix in Yeast Mixture:
- Pour in the yeast mixture and buttermilk. Stir until the dough comes together. It will be a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Knead and Roll Out:
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead it a few times to bring it together. Roll the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut Out Biscuits:
- Use a round biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits from the dough. Press straight down without twisting the cutter, as twisting can prevent the biscuits from rising properly.
- First Rise:
- Place the cut biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) during the last few minutes of the biscuit’s rise.
- Bake the angel biscuits for about 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and let them cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve them w*rm, split open and slathered with butter or jam.
- These homemade angel biscuits are a wonderful addition to any meal, from breakfast to dinner. The combination of a tender crumb and a hint of buttery flavor makes them a favorite among biscuit lovers. Enjoy the comfort and deliciousness of these homemade treats!
Credit: Healthy Juice