1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/2 cup of sugar
A pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
3 egg yolks, whipped
1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup of arequipe or dulce de leche
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Prepare 2 baking tray with parchment paper and reserve.
3. Cut pastry dough into 3 strips along pleat marks. Place on a baking tray and make a couple of holes in each dough with a fork. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Letting it cool on a grill.
4. In a medium pot place the milk and simmer. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
5. Slowly add the cornmeal mixture to the milk and cook, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes or until thickened. Beat the yolks and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring frequently.
6. Add the vanilla extract and butter, and remove from the fire.
7. Leave to cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.