This Salisbury steak recipe is hearty, filling, and flavorful. What more could you ask for in a comfort food favorite?
What Is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury steak is a variation of the Hamburg steak, which is an ancestor of the hamburger. Salisbury steaks are usually made from a blend of ground beef and other ingredients, then topped with a thick brown gravy. The dish is named after James H. Salisbury, a doctor who promoted a meat-centered diet.
How to Make Salisbury Steak
You’ll find a detailed ingredient list and step-by-step instructions in the recipe below, but let’s go over the basics:
Salisbury Steak Ingredients
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make this classic Salisbury steak recipe:
· Beef: This Salisbury steak recipe starts with 1.5 pounds of ground beef.
· Canned soup: A can of condensed French onion soup adds moisture, richness, and flavor to the patties. It also serves as the base for the gravy.
· Bread crumbs: Bread crumbs give the patties structure.
· Egg: An egg helps hold the patties together.
· Seasonings: These easy Salisbury steaks are simply seasoned with salt and black pepper. Mustard powder enhances the flavor of the gravy.
· Flour: All-purpose flour thickens the gravy.
· Sauces: You’ll need ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
How Do You Make Salisbury Steak?
Here’s a very brief overview of what you can expect when you make Salisbury steak at home:
1. Make and shape the patties.
2. Brown the patties on both sides, then drain the excess fat.
3. Make and season the gravy.
4. Pour the gravy over the patties and continue cooking until the meat is cooked through.
What to Serve With Salisbury Steak
Looking for delicious serving inspiration? We’ve got you covered! Try pairing one of these mouthwatering sides with Salisbury steak:
How to Store Salisbury Steak
Allow the Salisbury steaks to cool completely, then transfer them to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat in the oven or in the microwave.
Allrecipes Community Tips and Praise
“My family loves this recipe,” says one Allrecipes community member. “I always make sure that I have the ingredients in the pantry and beef in the freezer, as this is a recipe I go to when I can’t decide what to make for dinner. Great meal with mashed potatoes and locally grown sweet corn.”
“It’s absolutely delicious and very simple to make,” raves Charles Mears. “I usually make a little extra sauce as it’s wonderful on mashed potatoes and everyone loves to smother their steak in it.”
“I made it a few times for my family and they absolutely loved it,” according to Poilin Ni Dhuill. “Everyone asks me for the recipe, the only thing I do differently is add more onion soup to the mix to make extra gravy, everybody wants the gravy.”
Editorial contributions by Corey Williams
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
Combine ground beef, 1/3 cup condensed soup, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 6 oval patties.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add patties and brown on both sides. Drain excess fat.
Blend remaining soup and flour together in a small bowl until smooth; mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Pour soup mixture over patties in the skillet. Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.