°Medium package. Of the dried northern beans, I used 16 oz sizes.
°3 to 4 shank pork shanks, on occasion, I’ve also used a meaty ham bone.
°1 white onion cut into small cubes.
°enough water to covering beans.
°salt and pepper as needed
°1/3 cup light brown sugar.
– The first step I started with was sorting the grains out of the gravel and then cleaning them under cold water.
– In the crock pot, I combined the washed beans with the onion, sea salt and pepper, plus the shank of ham or ham, which I had previously cut into large pieces.
– Next I added enough water to cover the beans by about 2 inches. This can yield approximately 6 to 8 cups.
Once done, I covered and cooked on high-low heat for about 120 minutes, then lowered the heat to low and continued cooking for an additional 4 to 5 hours, or until the beans were tender.
-Then I removed the pork stalks or hocks, and took out all the beef.
– After that I put the meat back in the pot and added the brown sugar at this point.
-I found it very helpful to drain about a cup of juice before putting in the brown sugar, depending on the thickness or fineness of the grains, and gently stirred everything to combine.
– And in conclusion, I preferred to pour some into individual bowls for serving!
Credit: Librazhd Receta